Birthday's

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Potluck at Work

Tomorrow is International Food Day at Work. If you can't tell by the title, we have a lot of people from other companies who work at my office. Instead of having a Thanksgiving Celebration we have everyone bring something from their home country and I always bring something from TX!! Last year we had a flag for every country that was represented and I made them hang a TX flag!! People at work think I'm crazy, but everyone knows that I'm a Texan. Anyway, last year I made queso dip (yes I was as surprised as you to find that they sold Rotel here, it is in the ethnic isle, but still sold here). No one knew what it was!! I made 4 lbs of Velveeta cheese with 1 lb of sausage and 1 lb of ground beef and 3 cans of rotel. I brought Frito's to eat it with, but there was tortilla chips as well. I couldn't believe that no one knew what queso was, even the Hispanic girl who works at my office. Needless to say John and I ate queso dip for a week and still had to throw some of it out. I found out that day that queso is Tex Mex and not real Mexican food.
This year I'm making sopaipilla cheesecake. I figure it will go over better since it is a dessert. I have made this one other time for people in Chicago and no one knew what a sopaipilla was!! Needless to say John and I are teaching these people all about good southern food. Here is the recipe, its super easy and SO good. John likes it better right out of the oven, but I like it better cold.

Ingredients:
3 cans crescent rolls
2 C sugar
1 t cinnamon
3- 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1.5 t vanilla
1 stick melted butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix cream cheese, 1.5 C sugar and vanilla in large bowl. In a separate bowl combine cinnamon and 1/2 C sugar. Separate one can of crescent rolls and spread pieces on bottom of greased 9x13 pan. Spread half of cream cheese mixture. Top with second can of rolls. Pour half of melted butter over and sprinkle with half of cinnamon and sugar mix. Cover with remaining cream cheese mixture. Cover with third can of rolls. Pour remaining melted butter over rolls and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon and sugar mixture.

Bake 40-50 minutes. Let cool to form before serving. (If you want to serve it cold, I recommend letting it cool in fridge overnight).

No comments: