Friday, January 16, 2009
Something Interesting about the cold
We have had two days of wind chills below -30. The actual air temperature hasn't been above 0 in over 3 days. Unfortunately we still have to go to work (and walk our .5 mile walk to get to the train). I learned two things on my .5 mile walk yesterday that made the walk a little more interesting than usual. First as I was walking (with my face mask on that only your eyes are exposed) my glasses fogged up from my breath in about a minute. Usually when my glasses fog it will un-fog quickly if I start breating out of my nose. I pulled my mask down under my nose and then I noticed that not only had my glassed fogged, but the fog had frozen. They showed on the news last night that in this weather a socking wet shirt will completely freeze in 1 minute, so it shouldn't have surprised me. I had to put my glasses in my pocket to deal with later and the rest of the trip I hade to walk without them. While I'm trying to take them off and put them in my pocket my nose went numb. I didn't realize that my nose had started running from being cold. When I went to breathe in there was snot frozen to my face and in my nose!!! It was sssoooooo crazy! I put my mask back up and had to walk like this the rest of the way. As I was walking home today into the wind my eyes started to water and little icicles formed on my eyelashes. They say that you can develop frost bite in as little as 15 minutes in this weather. So today I made sure to have kleenexes with me and didn't even put my glasses on so I wouldn't have to worry about any of it. When I walked over the river this morning it was one solid (and I mean solid) mass. It wasn't just a small layer of ice, it was completely white like you would see in the Arctic. Also they said that it was colder in Chicago yesterday than it was in the South Pole! Did you know that Alaska warmer also? They were in the +20s and +30s. Anyway, it is supossed to start warming up to the teens tomorrow and we are WELCOMING it!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
oh my goodness! that is sooo crazy and SOO different from the 60's and 70's weather we have been having in houston!
We would give just about anything for 60s and 70s right now!! We are excited it has been near freezing!!
Post a Comment